iHeights
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aeroplan vs. Air miles

Posts since '11

Aeroplan vs. Air miles

Anyone with these point cards?

Just wanted to know what yall think of these point systems and what pros/cons you can throw out there.

Cannot kick it
    Posts since '11
    Real Name
    Guillermo
    I get Aeroplan points for banking /w CIBC. So... there's that.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
    Posts since '11
    Between flying and my aerogold i put back about 90,000 points a year. That's a round trip to New Zealand.

Posts since '11
    What's the background behind the question here? Are you considering a new credit card and are set on getting travel-related points with it (in which case you might want to look at the Westjet Dollars as well)? Are you thinking Safeway vs Sobeys and Shell vs Esso for points collection? Or are you signed up for neither and thinking about which one you want to sign up with? If it's the last question, the obvious answer is to have and collect both. There are no cons to having both, but there are definitely cons to having one or none.

For day to day purchases, Air Miles tends to be the better buy if you're filling up with premium at Shell or collecting the weekly Air Miles specials at Safeway (vs Esso and Sobeys on Aeroplan). You can no longer collect Air Miles on flights, so you'd be stuck with Aeroplan for AC or Westjet Dollars for WJ on those.

More details needed.

Posts since '11
    Aeroplan just had an awesome promo to get 16500 aeroplan miles, it expired yesterday.
    All you needed was 35 transactions with aeroplan card and then you will be credited 16500

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/aerop...swers-1171482/

STTS
    Posts since '11
    Real Name
    Alex
    One of the banks that I use for work offers Airmiles as incentives, so I'm kind of pushed in that direction. That being said, from what I've read online, Aeroplan offers the best return for your dollars, with Airmiles being in second place. It's been a couple of years since I put some time into reading up on it, so take it for what it's worth.

Airmiles work out to roughly $10 per 100

An airmiles "pro" would be their website. It's like shopping online without paying for shipping, or using actual money. The Airmiles flights are also a good deal if you have a gold level membership as well.

Posts since '11
    Aerogold miles get you slightly less than 1% of your spending towards rewards. Actually one of the poorer rewards out there.

Posts since '11
    Real Name
    PeeWee
    I collect Aeroplan Miles and have an Aerogold Visa. Its ok. Whichever you end up getting, just make sure you stay consistent. Switch everything over to aeroplane. Get an Aeroplan visa, get gas at esso and use your aeroplan visa there, etc.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
    Posts since '11
    Quote Originally Posted by DMax Power View Post
    Aerogold miles get you slightly less than 1% of your spending towards rewards. Actually one of the poorer rewards out there.
    My best ROI with aeroplan was a round trip ticket from Iqaluit to Resolute. Ticket was 15,000 points and normally costs 2500 round trip.

Posts since '11
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhrt View Post
    My best ROI with aeroplan was a round trip ticket from Iqaluit to Resolute. Ticket was 15,000 points and normally costs 2500 round trip.
    You can do ok with some flights. The gift cards, electronics etc work out to be less than 1%. A $100 gift card is around 13,500 points which on general spending is $13,500 spending.

Posts since '11
    Not sure about dollar values per points... But I just booked a flight with points. I could use either aeroplan or airmiles. Unless you book well well in advance, aeroplan points are hard to use. They only have a certain amount of seats available to use per flight. Unless you chose there more expensive option. The flight i booked last week was for the end of July from YWG to YYZ. Normally it's 15000 points. No seats available when i wanted to travel. But if you pay 52000 points there are seats...

I think if you use airmiles, there are no seat limits because I could book a seat using airmiles (1750 points) flying with AC during that time frame no problem. In the end I ended up using Westjet as fee's and taxes were like 20 bucks cheaper so that is a plus with airmiles as well. You are not stuck to just one airline.

Posts since '11
    Real Name
    PeeWee
    Well with Aeroplan you have access to all star alliance operators

Posts since '11
    What arecall star alliance operators?

Posts since '11
    Just get both.

Posts since '11
    Real Name
    PeeWee
    Quote Originally Posted by cronskies View Post
    What arecall star alliance operators?
    http://www.staralliance.com/en/about/member_airlines/

Posts since '11
    if it's a credit card you're asking about, look no further than TD First Class Visa. I believe the return rate is 1.5%, and you can do your own booking. No dealing with booking through aeroplan, no flight restrictions, no bs. I book whatever I want, wherever I want, whichever travel agent/website I want and all I have to do is call in (or go online) and say "hey I want to redeem $x of points against this transaction." You can do partials (ie: you only have $50 of points for a $100 tx) I dug through this extensively and it is THE EASIEST way to redeem travel. I've used it to redeem flights booked through westjet, all inclusive crap from red tag, expedia etc, rental cars, hotels. It also has a ton of insurances such as travel health and even cancellation.

They do also have their own agent website where you can book things, I think the prices may be a bit better and you get a better return rate.

One thing where Aeroplan comes out better is traveling to smaller airports. I believe aeroplan is a fixed amount of points to travel to each province, so flying to montreal uses the same amount of points as flying to Sept Iles, the former being in the $300 range and the later is usually closer to $600, if you were to purchase outright

Chat Box Whore
    Posts since '11
    Real Name
    Dr. Douchebag
    IIRC, Aeroplan points have an expiry date on them while Airmiles do not.

Posts since '11
    I use aeroplan, have an account with cibc that gives me 100 bonus miles per month. If you travel a bit then I think aeroplan is a good bet. I went on 2 trips to asia in 2 yrs and I'm planning a trip to nyc using my points. My mom has enough points to do a round trip to thailand which is crazy.

edit: even though aeroplans may have an expiry date.. u use it once for gas at esso then you're ok for another year.

Posts since '11
    I prefer Air Miles. It seems to be WAY easier to get flights with Air Miles than Aeroplan.

It also seems to be easier to get Air Miles especially if you shop at Safeway. I will spend $100-120 at Safeway and often get (with bonuses) about 150-200 Air Miles. It adds up quick and I can usually get a flight to Calgary for about 1500 Air Miles.

Posts since '11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Engineer View Post
    IIRC, Aeroplan points have an expiry date on them while Airmiles do not.
    Actually, Air Miles recently changed it so they do expire now. You have 3 years to spend them, while current original miles is 5 years. I'm not sure how they determine expiry but probably from transaction date.
    I personally collect Air Miles since I use my BMO Gold mastercard for extra Air Miles. I also have extra cards for my mom and my gf lol. I so far have got $160 of Shell gas, and a round trip flight to Calgary. I'll probably get another round trip this summer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information